Monday, May 27, 2013

Baptisms & A Wedding

May 20th, 2013

So Julie and Winson got baptized! It was amazing. Their whole family came and it was a really spiritual experience. I had the privilege to baptize them, and Elder Dunnaway will confirm them next Sunday. 

I can't believe Chris Parker is home already! Tell 'em that I love 'em and say Hi! 

I also got your package. THANKS SO MUCH! So awesome! I really appreciate it. 

Also, on Sunday we went to a Hmong Wedding. Pretty interesting. Lots of pork and fat. Apparently a traditional wedding meal is usually rice and pork. I learned some interesting things about the customs such as: 
-The groom must bow a hundred time to the mother in law. If the mom likes him, she'll let him do it on a soft surface. If she doesn't like him, he has to do it on tile or something. 
-The groom has to eat a huge chunk of straight pork fat and can't choke on it (to prove how much he loves his wife). I said "they have to get me to not eat it to show how much I love my wife...haha" Just play'n..that's gross. 
-All the men of the bride and groom's families sit down and figure out how they will all be related (and take shots as they introduce each other). 
-Once the wife leaves the house, she can't look back at the wedding at the house, because its basically the principle of Lot's wife. Its bad luck to look back. 
-Also, you don't eat pepper at the wedding because you don't want the marriage to be too "spicy" and "painful." 
-Also, when you get engaged, you shake a chicken over the wife's head when you steal her. Yes, you steal your bride. Yes, this is a little sketchy. 

Well this week was awesome! We had a ton of fun. Here's my thought for the week. 

"Casting out our nets"
When the Savior came to his disciples after His resurrection. They were fishing and had caught nothing. However, a figure called to them on the shore and told them to thrust out their nets to the other side. These were master fisherman. They knew how to fish. Why should they listen to some stranger on the shore? However, because they were humble and full of faith, they heeded the counsel. This made all the difference. They caught so many fish, that the ships couldn't handle the weight. Although, we may feel we are the great fisherman of our own lives, we must learn to be humble to heed the counsel of the Master. We must cast out our nets even after toiling all the night. Even after doing everything we thought possible, we must continue to work and follow the Savior's counsel. Only then, will we find true success and happiness. 

Anyways, I love you all very much! keep asking me questions. Even if I don't  always answer them. Kuv hlub nej (I love you all)! 
 
Love, 
Elder Tseem Fwv Leem! 

No comments:

Post a Comment